Stephen L. Wheeler, DDS
Dr. Wheeler’s Publications
Dr. Wheeler has been actively involved in implant dentistry since the early 1980s. He has placed thousands of implants of various types on patients of all ages and has become an international lecturer on the subject. Besides being proficient in the surgical placement of several different implant systems, Dr. Wheeler has helped to pioneer many of the newest bone grafting techniques, and is actively involved in research on esthetic tooth replacement using implants.
Dr. Wheeler continues to instruct other doctors in implant and bone grafting techniques in training courses held in his office and abroad. He has published numerous articles in international journals regarding his research in various implant techniques, and is considered an expert in his field. A partial list of his peer reviewed publications is included below. Copies of those articles indicated can be downloaded as a jpg file.
1. “The Use of IMZ Osseointegrated Implants in Partially and Completely Edentulous Patients: Success and Failure Rates of 2,023 Implant Cylinders up to 60 Months in Function”, Fugazzotto, P.A., Gulbranson, H.J., Wheeler, S.L., Lindsay, J.A., Ther International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants; Vol. 8, No. 6: 617-620. 1993. Download Article
2. “Success and Failure Rates of Cylinder Implants in Type IV Bone”, Fugazzotto, P.A., Wheeler, S.L., Lindsay, J.A., Journal of Periodontology; Vol. 64, No. 11: 1085-1087, November 1993. Download Article
3. “Cosmetic dentistry and implant prosthetics”, Carrick, J.L., Current Opinion in Cosmetic Dentistry 1994: 93-98 (I was the surgeon involved in this case presentation which involved bilateral sinus lift grafts and nine osseointegrated implants.)
4. “Maintenance Problems and Protocols”, Panel discussion in the proceedings from Osseointegration, 10 years in Private Practice, held October 9, 1992. Published in Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, Volume 9,1994. Wilson, T.G., Reiser, G., Wheeler, S.L., Baurngarten, H., and Parel, S. pp. 75-84. Download Article
5. “Interaction of Laboratory Technician and Restoring Dentist in Foot-Form Implant Cases.” Vogel, R.E., and Castellini, R.C., Dental Implantology Update, Volume 5, Number 6, June 1994. (I was the surgeon in this case.)
6. “Six Year Clinical and Histologic Study of Sinus Lift Grafts,” Wheeler, S.L., Holmes, R.E., Calhoun, C.J., Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, Volume 11, No.1:26-34; 1996. Download Article
7. “Eight Year Clinical Study of Titanium Plasma-Sprayed and Hydroxyapatite Coated Cylinder Implants”, Wheeler, S.L., Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, Volume 11, No. 3: 340-350; 1996. Download Article
8. “Complications: Learning from the Past and Avoiding Future Mistakes,” Wheeler, S.L., Implant Dentistry, Volume 5, No. 6:130-131 ;1996
9. “Six-Year Clinical and Histologic Study of Sinus-Lift Grafts,” Wheeler, S.L., Holmes, R.E., Calhoun, C.J., Quintessence Dental Implantology (in Japanese), Volume 3, No. 4;105-114; 1996.
10. “Clinical Controversies in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: Sinus Augmentation for Dental Implants: The Use of Alloplastic Materials,” Wheeler, S.L., J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 55:1287-1293, 1997. Download Article
11. “Restoration of Congenitally Missing Lateral Incisors: A Case Report,” Vogal RE, Stephen L Wheeler SL, Casellini RC, Implant Dentistry, Vol. 8, No. 4, 390-395, 1999. Download Article
12. “Tissue Preservation and Maintenance of Optimum Esthetics: A Clinical Report,” Wheeler SL, Vogel RE, Casellini R, Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants, 2000; 15:265-271. Download Article
13. “Use of the Frialit-2 Implant System in Private Practice: A Clinical Report,” Stephen Wheeler, DDS, Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants, 2003; 18:552-555. Download Article
14. “Implant Complications in the Esthetic Zone,” Stephen L. Wheeler, DDS, J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65-93-102, 2007, Suppl 1. Download Article